Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Not So Matchy-Matchy

When I asked my "ladies" to be my bridesmaids back in August, I wanted to let them know right away what I was thinking about when it came to picking out their dresses.  I had given some thought to what I wanted their dresses to look like:
  1. Short length - My dress isn't overly elegant and we are having a summer wedding, so it made sense to me to go with short dresses
  2. Peacock color - the infamous peacock that makes everyone ask me if we are using peacock feathers in our wedding...no.  It's also the color that doesn't show up correctly on the computer and changes from navy blue to teal in the blink of an eye.  I still love it, but I'm still sad that barely anything matches it unless you order it from David's Bridal directly.
  3. Fabric - no preference
  4. Style - no preference
So based on my impartiality of the style/material (and the fact that I figured we couldn't get all 4 of them together at once to decide), I went ahead and gave them the open choice on the style of the dresses.  As long as it was short and Peacock, I was perfectly content with that.  

The Bridesmaid Dress Journey:
Maid of Honor N, Bridesmaid H and I went to David's Bridal right before New Year's and it was a big failure.  They hadn't gotten their Spring dresses in, despite sending out their Spring catalogs a month earlier.  We tried again at the beginning of February and had much more luck.  Bridesmaid H picked out a chiffon halter dress (with room to expand for her preggo belly), while MOH N picked out a chiffon sweetheart neckline dress with cap sleeves.  

Bridesmaid L said that she would be going to her local DB that next week, so I sent her a quick email about what H and N had picked out, but told her that if she liked one of those to not hesitate to get it also.  She also picked the chiffon halter dress like Bridesmaid H.

By then, we had 3 chiffon dresses.  Bridesmaid V, since she was the last to get to DB, got an ultimatum and it was "I would really like you to find a chiffon dress."  I'm pretty tough when it comes to ultimatums.  Thus, we went last Sunday, and...she got a chiffon dress!    

So, the bridesmaids have dresses, and here they are:

I just randomly organized them, well with MOH N on the far right like she would be at the altar.  I haven't decided how to arrange them exactly, we might do height.  Since Bridesmaids H & L have dresses that are a bit longer, it might be something we just have to wait and see about and decide on what looks best.  Unfortunately though, that would be on the wedding day.  I also thought that it might look best with them two on the far left and then the two shorter dresses on the right.  What do YOU think?  Suggestions suggested!

MOH N actually is going to wear the sleeves like straps.  Clearly in this picture they were altered perfectly for this girl's shoulders, but I personally like them as straps anyway!  They are all going to wear black heels of some sort.

So there is my attempt at mismatched bridesmaids dresses.  I think it will turn out great, but I was kind of worried to begin with.  I promised Adam that it would look good, although I wasn't 100% sure at first!  I was concerned about having all different lengths and fabrics together and also about 3 people liking the same dress and having a random 4th (unless it was the MOH).  But as you can see, it all turned out okay! Hooray!

No comments:

Post a Comment