Sunday, January 27, 2013

I Will Take the Ring, Though I Do Not Know the Way

So it turns out that Adam and I will not have any pictures that look like this...
Source          /           Source    

...or this...
   

That's right boys and girls, there will be no flower girls or ring bearers at the Adam-Lindsy Nuptial Ceremony.

Adam and I discussed having a ring bearer awhile back.  First of all, none of our siblings have children.  Thus, we have no obvious candidates for flower girls or ring bearers. If we expand beyond that, we still don't have much, especially when it comes to boys.  My cousin has two boys, but they are almost too old to hold the ring bearer title.  We have one friend that has a boy, but he's only 2, they live far away and we're not super close either.  So we decided probably six months ago that we were not going to have a ring bearer.

As for flower girls, we were still keeping our options open.  My aunt has a four year-old daughter and Bridesmaid H has a 3 year-old.  I thought it would be cute to have the two of them together.  I was planning on asking my cousin (well, my aunt) at Christmastime when we went down to visit. I hadn't actually seen my cousin since right after she was born, so I thought it would be a nice way to include her in the wedding.  Now I know that part of the cute-ness of having children involved in your wedding is that, well, they act like children, but after visiting I had some rethinking to do.  I hope I'm not hurting feelings here in the event that a family member reads this...but I just didn't think that Cousin M was up to the challenge.  We were at my grandparents house (my mom, dad, brother and I) and it was hours before she would come and talk to us.  And there were only 4 people, not 150.  

I talked to Adam after  I got back and I told him I didn't think it was worth the hassle of going through all the work for it to potentially fail miserably.  I also told him that I didn't want to make Bridesmaid H's daughter do it by herself.  She was in a wedding last summer and did great, but she had another, older flower girl with her.  I also didn't want it to look bad to my aunt that we picked H's daughter over family.  So we decided "the hell with it" and said we're not going to have ring bearers or flower girls.  

I honestly don't know if people will even notice, it'll be interesting to see.  And I think it's rather symbolic of my and Adam's current lack of desire to have children...ever.  Getting this checked off the to-do list was kind of relieving and thus far I don't have any regrets!  That means no little tux, dress, basket, flower petals, or making extra phone calls and arrangements with the parents.  Although I am kind of sad that I won't be able to make an awesome cut-out book for the ring bearer to hold our rings:

Is there anything traditional that you cut out of your wedding?  Did anyone notice?  Ever been to a wedding without flower girls or ring bearers yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment