Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Save Our Date

I suppose it's time for the official Save-the-Date reveal.  I was a good girl over winter break and got them addressed and sent out to friends and family to I can share them without completely ruining the surprise.

In our last update, I was working on the design.  I got them printed off at Walgreens so that I could physically see the designs and then Adam could sift through them and pick out what he liked.  Turns out we had quite a difference of opinion.  We did end up compromising, but it took some trial and error to get the pictures that we both liked with a format/style that work with it.

I was originally just going to send 4x6 photographs as our Save-the-Dates.  They are cheap and I could just upload my design, but then I got my great Vistaprint deal. Also, after seeing the prints, I wanted them to be a bit larger than 4x6.  If you go up to a 5x7 photo, they are essentially the same price as a standard Save-the-Date on cardstock but you don't get printing on both sides. Thus it was decided.

    

To prepare them for their journeys, I spent several hours one evening looking up envelope addressing etiquette.  It's quite a pain!  Even though Save-the-Dates can be informal, I went ahead and did Mr. & Mrs. So-and-so.  For some people, I broke tradition and put "& Family" on the envelope.  I even called my mom and had some questions for her, but she was almost as clueless as me.

The difficult part was that most of the etiquette surrounds wedding invitations with inner/outer envelopes, whereas Save-the-Dates do not have those.  Martha Stewart also told me that I'm not supposed to print on the envelopes; I am supposed to handwrite them, but I found a nice handwriting font instead.  Take that, Martha. It's called "Shelter Me" and I found it on dafont.com.


So that's the official reveal!  I added my fancy new Vistaprint return address labels to the corner and a rose stamp to seal the deal.  I tried to get Adam to lick all the envelopes, but he was not a willing contributor.  I forgot to take a picture of the stack before they went to the post office, but oh well!

How did you do your Save-the-Dates?  Were you happy with how they turned out? Did you break tradition and upset Martha with your lack of etiquette formality?

2 comments:

  1. I love the color and the font. Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was a lot of trial and error, but definitely worth the headache!

      Delete