Monday, March 18, 2013

Playing Games

I was really planning on a 100-Day Post, but as you can see, I failed.

Whoops.

With that being said, the 96-Day Post is about...playing cards!

I have always loved the concept of games at the wedding reception.  I believe that it really portrays how the couple wants their guests to be entertained, whether they are waiting for the bridal party to arrive, or just enjoying the lull between main events. I think it demonstrates a little bit of extra thought, and hopefully, keeps guests entertained for a few more minutes.

While I really didn't want to take up the space to create a board games table, I thought it would be neat to incorporate the idea throughout the wedding.  On our programs, I plan on having some sort of game - a crossword or song guessing game (based on the string versions of some of our favorite songs).  For our dinner menus, I have designed a Sudoku puzzle and a word search on the backside. With those two elements, I thought playing cards would be another great addition.  Rather than create a set for each table, I decided that I would keep them stored at the bar so people could grab them if they come up for a drink and need something to do.  

While I could have just grabbed some decks of cards and threw them up on the bar, I decided that we really needed cute boxes with our names on them. Hence...


All in all, it was quite an easy project.  You just need some thick paper, scissors, sticky tape, a scoring board and some playing cards.



1.  Take an existing deck of cards, unfold it, and trace the deck as a template on the paper.

2.  Cut out the deck on the lines you drew

3. Score the lines based on where the folds of the deck box are.

4. Tape the main edges together and fold in the flaps

5. Insert cards and add any decorative elements

 I only made 10 sets, so hopefully that is enough! It was a little time-consuming, but I think they turned out acceptable enough to consider using my spare time to complete them.  I used extra paper left over from my invitations (post coming soon...really!) and then used the free seals that I bought from Vistaprint when we ordered our Save-the-Dates. I bought the cards at Dollar Tree and they came in packs of 2 for $1.  Needless to say, I spent about $5 on 10 decks of cards and potential entertainment for 10 groups of people. Hooray!

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea! And good thinking on the personalized boxes!

    ReplyDelete