Monday, November 19, 2012

Release Me


I knew when we decided on Grant to take our wedding pictures that the engagement session came with a CD and a print release for the pictures.  What I didn't realize was how important the print release was.   I have had plenty of friends that have gotten wedding CDs from their photographer, but I had never really heard them stress the importance of a release for the pictures nor had I ever heard of them actually needing to use it.

Like those wedded friends before me, I wanted the flexibility of being able to choose the pictures I liked and select the printing company of my choice.  I am a huge sucker for bargains, so being able to shop around was nice (although Grant's prices from his website are incredibly affordable).  In addition, having the CD meant that I could use the pictures to create other elements of our wedding day, namely the guest book and our Save-The-Dates. By having access to those high-quality files, I could manipulate the images and use them as needed.

It actually wasn't until my third trip to the Walgreens Photo Department that I needed a copy of the print release.  I had printed off our engagement photos two other previous times, but they didn't seem to catch it:
The first time, they were amongst a million other pictures - easy mistake
The second time I ordered a (FREE!) 8x10 collage of solely our engagement pictures - kinda obvious?
The third time I ordered about 20 of the different Save-The-Date designs that I had saved as image files.   I like to think that it's because my designs are so darn professional looking!

After I had sent in that third order, I got a phone call from Walgreens stating that it looked like the pictures had been taken professionally and asking if I could bring in a copy of the print release.  Sure thing.  When I went in, they asked for my print release, gave me my pictures and said thank you.  Looking back, I probably sounded kind of snobby, but I didn't realize that they keep your print release, so I asked if I could have it back. The girl looked at me strangely, but then we realized my misunderstanding and she went and made a copy of it so that I could have MY original back (I might have been in slight panic mode after seeing the cashier walk away with my release).

Now, they only asked for the release 1/3 times, so 33% doesn't seem like an effective rate for Walgreens.  It seems like taking a gamble would probably get results, or using a service that ships the images to you like Shutterfly would be effective too.  I, however, am a little too paranoid and a terrible liar, so I wouldn't feel comfortable with hoping.  I guess what I am trying to say is that if you are paying someone to take your wedding pictures and are receiving a CD, get a print release from them.  Even if you are just having a friend take your pictures, get a print release.  It will save you the hassle of trying to hunt them down later, in the event that the company that is printing your pictures requests it.  Not only does it make life easier, but it actually protects the work of the photographer and gives them credit for their images.  And don't forget to make copies of your print release.

As for my last bit on print releases, I'm sure there are plenty of templates available on the interweb, but if you are wondering what our print release looks like, here it is:

Date:
To Whom It May Concern:
My name is (Photographer), I am the owner, photographer, and copyright holder of all images taken by (Company Name).  I hereby grant (Client) my permission to make prints using this CD.

If you should have any questions regarding the authenticity of this document or the terms here with, please contact me at:
Phone:
Web:
Email:

Sincerely...


Hope that gives you an idea on print releases.  It was pretty uncharted territory for me as of a month ago.  I still have a hard time grasping the concept that you have an image in your hand, of yourself, that you have paid for, but it isn't technically your property because of copyright mumble jumble.  However, the feds will not be knocking down my door for photographic copyright infringement!

Oh, and take a shot for each time I used the word release.

No comments:

Post a Comment