Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Nautical Nightmares

One of the first wedding decisions that Adam and I made were our wedding color(s):  Marine from David's Bridal. Well, it turns out that Marine, or navy you might say, is kind of hard to pair up with. What seemed to be the most popular at the time was combining navy with a pop of color like pink, orange or yellow which I'm not a huge fan of.
        
Sources:  Image 1  / Image 2

So I decided to keep it simple.  Just Marine and lots of white to lighten things up a bit. Well,  some time has gone by and I'm starting to rethink things. I am most worried about my wedding being nautical.  Now, if you looked at my wardrobe, I think I could be a sailor's child.  Stripes, black and white, and navy and white comprise a LOT of the clothes that I wear. While I may wear them on a daily basis, that doesn't mean I want my wedding to look like we just pulled into the harbor.

I got on Design Seeds last night and started looking for some inspiration matching my original color.
Dripping Hues - I like the middle four



So I think my winner is More Mental Vacation (the bottom three colors only).  Not only can I keep white in the color scheme, it adds variation.  I'm not a fan of baby blues, but the bottom color is more gray which I think helps get away from that, but also provides differentiation between my colors. I'm thinking to use the colors more in the reception, the ceremony might still be pretty navy/white.

Oh and also? We're not doing Marine. Ha!  

Do you feel like I just wasted your time? Fear not, it's a tiny change to...Peacock!
  

Turns out that the colors online look different than the colors in the store.  I shouldn't be surprised by this, but when I saw Marine in the bridal salon it looked so...blah.  I've been going back and forth trying to make a decision: 
     Things will match better if we use Marine (cloth and paper napkins, invitation paper, etc)
     Do things have to match perfectly? No.
     Marine is boring and dark
     Peacock is prettier
     Online Peacock looks too teal
     In real life Peacock is more the color that I though Marine was

So finally, when I was in Topeka the other day, I stopped into David's Bridal and bought a fabric swatch of each so that I could actually decide.  Best decision ever.  They only cost $1 each, I can see how the colors look indoors AND outdoors, I can take the swatches with me when I need to match something and I think I am going to give my bridesmaids one too so they can pick out their dresses.

So Peacock it is.  I'm actually not going to tell Adam. Shame on me, I know.  But in the reality of things, it's still blue to him...you know man colors.

Did you have a surprising change of colors with your wedding theme or something turn out different than you expected?

No comments:

Post a Comment