Friday, June 7, 2013

A Piece of Cake (well, not exactly)

I've been meaning to do this post for awhile, but we finally paid for the cake in full the other day and it reminded me that we haven't talked about cake yet!

Over Christmas Break, Adam and I made a trip to Hy-Vee to do some cake testing.  We weren't too concerned about hiring some fancy baker to make our cake, we just wanted a tasty and affordable cake that people could enjoy.  After sampling their product and finding a design that we liked out of their book, we went ahead and placed an order.  (Unfortunately, I cannot find a picture of it anywhere on the interwebs, so no picture for you.)

Now, the cake wasn't terribly expensive, around $400 for 120ish servings, but I had cake remorse. It seemed like too much for a tiny 3-tiered cake that might feed all of our guests. I called up another grocery store to talk to their cake decorator, and she wasn't very willing to meet with us outside of her schedule so we moved on...

Time went by and my mom and I went to a bridal show in January.  My parents live in Riley, about a 20 minute drive from Manhattan. There at the bridal show, was a bakery from Riley (Celebration Cakes & Bakery) and my mom knew the owner.  Mom and her chatted for awhile while I sampled the cupcakes and they were aahmazing.  I went home and discussed it with Adam and we finally made an appointment out there to talk with her in February.

Needless to say, Adam was in love.  Adam doesn't get excited about cupcakes, and he particularly doesn't like frosting, but we chowed down on the samples and then bought some normal sized cupcakes to take home with us.  The great thing about this lady is that her servings cost $1.45 per person, so regardless of the number of tiers and the sizes of the layers, it was going to still be really affordable.  We paid our deposit of $50 and just this week paid the cake off in full, so another $220.  We ended up ordering more cake than we will need, so it could have been around $200 total for a 4-tiered wedding cake if we had ordered the exact amount of servings, but instead it's $270 which gives us some room for error when we cut the cake.  And free delivery, woo!

With all that being said, we need some pictures!  Here is my inspiration for my wedding cake:  white buttercream icing featuring some white piping details.  Simple and classy.
 

Sources:  Top    Left    Right
                                                                      Bottom:  Left    Right

I can't wait to see what our cake turns out like!  Guess we'll find out in 2 weeks!

Did you have cake remorse or other decisions that you made that you were unhappy with?  Did it turn out for the better?

No comments:

Post a Comment