Saturday, February 18, 2012

DIY Wedding Invites: Round 1

I've now done three mock-ups of wedding invitations.  Over the next couple of days I will show you my progression for worst (first attempt) to better (third attempt) and what I have learned so far...

Attempt #1
I was at work (on lunch! No padding the clock here!).  I keep my paper supply at school and felt the urge to get crafty.  I had previously found some templates online and wanted to give it a try with cardstock.

Materials needed:
Cardstock - I only had neon, purple-blue and white (not exactly the wedding colors)
Adhesive - I only had glue sticks and Elmer's glue (not exactly my choice of products)
Paper cutter - I only had a ruler and scissors opened up like a knife blade.
Paper scorer - I only had a ruler and scissors opened up like a knife blade.

So with all of the necessary materials at hand...commence!

  




What I learned:
Despite that the first attempt was quite "ghetto" for lack of a better term, it gave me the confidence that I could actually make a semi-decent pocket-fold invitations.

I made the right flap,with the inserts, the same size at the main invite side.  As a result, when I tried to close it with the flap, it didn't fold over nicely (as you can see in the first pic).

Elmer's glue is definitely not an acceptable adhesive as it bubbles the paper.  I had already learned that from my childhood, but the glue stick just wasn't doing the job either.

I am going to have to invest in a paper cutter and scorer because I cannot cut in straight lines.

The belly band was particularly easy and pain-free.  I just used leftover scraps cut from the other pieces.


Grade:  D+  (Definitely not acceptable to send out.)


Next time...Attempt #2.  After I share Attempt #3 I'll also post the templates/measurements if anyone is interested.

1 comment:

  1. We're doing pocket folds, too! We're biting the bullet and ordering ours though and then doing all of the printing and cutting ourselves for the inserts.

    ReplyDelete