Saturday, February 25, 2012

Dress for Success

While I had every intention of sleeping in this morning, I am going on my first dress shopping adventure today and my mind just wasn't in agreement with my body.  I was even planning on going to gym first this morning, but the gym isn't even open yet!  So, let's use this time to talk about dresses since it's been a few days since my last post.

When I went to the first bridal show at the beginning of January, David's Bridal was giving out $20 Shutterfly gift cards if you booked an appointment with them.  Um, yes?  I really didn't have any intention of keeping the appointment because the farthest they could book was March (shame on me, I know) and I didn't really want to start dress shopping that early on.  However, after I got to thinking, I realized that it might be fun to do a preliminary search, see what kind of dresses I like, what SIZE I am, and what actually looks good on my body type.


So off to David's Bridal we shall go.  Some people have issues with mass-market dresses, however I am not one of those people.  I'm not wanting to spend TONS of money on a dress (I'm in the $500 range) and they seem to meet my price range the best.  Manhattan has a few dress boutiques but nothing large scale.  So we'll head to Topeka today and I can always go and check out the local places later on.



Lindsy's Dress Requirements and (some) pretty pictures:

1. Floor length - I'm completely in love with knee-length bridesmaids dresses (especially for a late-June wedding), but I don't feel like our wedding is informal enough for me to go short-skirting.

(photo courtesy of David's Bridal)

2.  Not too chesty.  I consider myself of average bustiness, but I need those babies on lock-down.

3.  Adornment:  ruffles, lace, sparklies, and/or layers - I'm in agreement with all of these.  I especially would like something over the stomach area as that is where I'm most insecure.  While it's true that I could have some sweet abs by next summer, I've always felt more comfortable with a little design distraction.
(Photo courtesy of David's Bridal)

4.  Nothing too "fashionable."  I laugh when I hear myself say this, but I want something more traditional and I won't look back on it in 5 years and wonder what I was thinking.  Keyhole backless dresses fit into this category for me (even though they seem to be huge right now - I just can't get into them).
(Photo courtesy of i-do.com/au)

(Photo courtesy of chafta.com)


5.  Strapless - I am not 100% on this one.  I do find that I like some strappy dresses, but the sleeved style is just not for me.  Works great for Kate Middleton, but I'll pass.

(Photo courtesy of dressestoweartoaweddinginfo.com)

6.  Price Range - My budget is about $500.  It's not a ton of money, but it will definitely be the most expensive item of clothing I've ever bought.  I also would like to leave a little extra money for alterations, although I don't think I will be planning huge alterations.  I love the lace-up backs, but I'm not sure I want to pay to alter a zipper-backed dress either.


And commence the pictures (all photos courtesy of David's Bridal):
    
  

While all of these dresses seem pretty alike, I do plan on trying other types to see how they fit my body.  I might just go all out end up with a GIANT ball gown.  We'll have to see!

How was your first dress shopping experience?  Did you have as many requirements as I feel that I do?    Did you find THE dress on your first trip?

No comments:

Post a Comment