Monday, February 20, 2012

DIY Wedding Invites: Round 3

And now for the final attempt (and my most proud)...

Attempt #3
Hobby Lobby was having a sale last week on scrap-booking supplies for 50% off.  I thought it was time to finally get the right paper that I wanted and a couple of other supplies as well.  I also wanted to see if 8.5x11 or 12x12 paper was better for making the invites and what would give me the most value for what I needed.

Materials that I bought (see my reviews below!):
8.5x11 white linen paper (50% off = .22 cents each)
8.5x11 black linen paper
8.5x11 dark blue linen paper
12x12 dark blue linen paper  (50% off = .40ish cents each)
Zision Paper Trimmer  ($7.99 with 40% coupon = $4.80)
Elmer's CraftBond Permanent Dot Runner  ($2.99 @ Wal-mart)


And thus...




What I learned:
I absolutely love the feeling of the linen paper.  It has a very clean and crisp feel to it...quite classy!  It is durable enough to feel like a professional invitation which is what I was really shooting for.

I changed the font on the logo from Attempt #2.  I like this font a lot better (Scriptina).

I will need to go to the post office and have this weighed to see if it will cost extra.

I think that I am going to swap the RSVP card size with a larger insert and turn it in to a postcard.  That way, we won't have to buy envelopes to return the RSVP and its a little bit cheaper for postcard postage than first class postage.  I will then also have to take the RSVP to the post office and make sure that the paper is thick enough for it to be classified as a post card.

These are incredibly time-consuming to do just one invite at a time.  I think if I "assembly-line it" and make all of the pocket-folds first and then the inserts and then the belly bands it will go a lot faster.  I would like to be able to make these over the summer while I am off work, but I am afraid of leaving them sit around for 6-9 months before it is time to send them off...

Grade:  A-  (Still not quite perfect, but they're in that 90% range.)


My product reviews:
Zision paper trimmer - For a $5 paper cutter, it is probably worth the value.  It comes with a cutting blade and also a scoring blade.  HOWEVER, it does not cut cleanly through thick (linen) paper that I am going to be using.  I leaves the edges all frayed looking, even when cutting only one piece of paper at a time (see Picture 3).  I imagine that it would cut computer paper just fine, but it was definitely not up to the task of cover or card stock.  I returned it to the store and ended up buying a Martha Stewart Scoring Board which only cost $7 more with the return ($19.99 with 40% off coupon = 11.99).  It doesn't cut, but it is square, has a ruler and ensures that I will score my lines correctly when making the pocket-folds.  It also comes with a bone folder (which are like $3 anyway) and has a template to make envelopes.


Elmer's Craft Bond Permanent Dot Runner - I really liked this product on plain, smooth paper, but it didn't work so well on the textured linen paper.  I had a hard time getting it to "roll" the mini-glue dots out and after handling the invitation a couple of times, the pieces started to become unglued.  I am definitely going to have to find another time of glue for the invites as I need the pocket to stay on and the belly band not to fall apart.  For the belly band, I am sure I could even use hot glue, but I will probably look for another type of double sided tape to use for the pocket.


12x12 paper - For the pocket-folds that I am making, it wouldn't save us any money to get 12x12 paper.  I thought it might be enough to make the pockets, and it is, but it is actually cheaper to get another piece of 8.5x11 paper and make 4 pockets.



So what do you think?
Time really isn't an issue for me, but I am worried I might regret making the invitations myself instead of having a professional do it.  It will save us quite a bit of money as they will only cost about 70 cents to make (excluding envelopes, tools and ink).  What did you do for your invitations - DIY, partial DIY or did you get them printed somewhere?

1 comment:

  1. Loving the textured paper, I think it adds so much detail to a simple invitation set. I can't wait to see the finish product. x

    ReplyDelete